I trust your week has been super fantastic! Just wanted to let you in on the latest essay contests: only for the DIE-HARD Writer! Read through and get your pen ready for another bleeding.
The Center for Alcohol Policy 2016 Essay Contest
The Center for Alcohol Policy is sponsoring a writing contest for all interested participants who are over the age of 18 as of December 2016. The Center for Alcohol Policy’s national essay contest is intended to foster debate, analysis and examination of state alcohol regulation.
The 21st Amendment repealed Prohibition and put control over alcohol regulation directly in the hands of the states. Though each state’s alcohol control policies are unique, they all include distinct regulations for different types of alcohol. Why are various types of alcohol regulated in different ways? Should they be?
Center for Alcohol Policy
- First place winner: $2,500,
- Second place winner: $1,250
- Third place winner: $500
- The winning essays will be posted indefinitely to the Center for Alcohol Policy website and attempts to further highlight these winning entries will be undertaken.
December 2, 2016 (5:30 p.m. EST)
2016 DStv Eutelsat Star Awards Competition
The 6th edition of the DStv Eutelsat Star Awards is now open. We are calling all science and technology fans between 14 and 19 to be inspired to write a creative essay or design a poster. MultiChoice Africa and Eutelsat are convinced by the power of science and technology education to encourage young minds to positively change their world. Now in its 6 th year, their joint initiative, the DStv Eutelsat Star Awards, inspires innovative thinking among a new African generation. This pan-African collaboration has created a meaningful engagement with students, the academic community and the scientific world. Since the start of the DStv Eutelsat Star Awards competition in 2011, over 5,000 students have taken part in this unique competition.
The prizes of this innovative competition are as big as the dreams of a young, energised African generation ready to shape the evolution of our continent. Selected from thousands of entries by a high-standard jury, the overall essay and poster winners will be eligible for a once in a lifetime trip for two to Paris, France to visit Eutelsat satellite facilities, with the essay winner traveling onwards to see a rocket launch into space. Runners-up will win a trip to South Africa to explore several sites as guests of MultiChoice Africa. The schools attended by the four overall winners also receive a DStv installation, including a dish, TV, decoder and free access to the DStv Education Bouquet.
“Take yourself into the future as a scientist, tasked with designing a new-age satellite that will help improve the lives of Africans. Tell us what you would call your satellite and describe the different functions and roles that it would play in the Africa of the future.”
Besides awesome prizes up for grabs in the country awards, overall winners will be rewarded with the trip of a lifetime:
- For the overall winning essay – a trip with his/her parent/legal guardian to Eutelsat in Paris, France and onwards to a spaceport to attend a live rocket launch.
- For the overall winning poster – a trip with his/her parent/legal guardian to Eutelsat in Paris and a satellite construction site.
- For the runner up poster and essay entries a trip with their parent/legal guardian to visit MultiChoice in Johannesburg and the South African National Space Agency at Hartebeesthoek.
- The schools attended by the four overall winners will also receive a DStv installation, including a dish, TV, decoder and free access to the DStv Education Bouquet.
7 November 2016
The Adaptation Essay Prize 2017
Entries now open for the 2017 Adaptation Essay Prize. The Adaptation Essay Prize is a new innovation from the journal, launched in 2011 to encourage the best new scholarship in the field.
While the journal publishes many articles which focus on the relationship between literature and film, the Editors are particularly keen to publish work which challenges the primacy of that relationship: this might include essays on computer games, opera, popular music, animation, genre fiction or work with a wider theoretical sweep.
Essays should be on computer games, opera, popular music, animation, genre fiction or work with a wider theoretical sweep
- Publication of the winning paper in a volume of Adaptation
- A year’s free print and online subscription to Adaptation
- Other entries of sufficient quality may be invited to publish in the journal.
1 April 2017
Do you have an article you’ve written or would like to write?
Something else you’d like to share with us on Prose & Poetry Hood?
Don’t hesitate to send submissions to email@example.com or.
Subscribe to Poetry Hood by Email
Labels: #Fiction, #proseHood, #Writers, Call for Submission, Non-Fiction